My favourite mantra is “Fail to plan, plan to fail” – it’s so true.
Planning means that I know what’s happening, when. Where I need to be. What resources are needed and how I’m going to do something. In fact, my Ultimate Planner is my lifeline to ensuring a productive day. And productive days add up to a successful business.
There is a strategy to how I schedule and plan too and I think if you’re a working woman like me, you may just find them useful.
Planning and Scheduling Tips
- Set a consistent, specific time every week for planning your activities, both professional and personal. Schedule the time into your calendar to be sure you do them.
- Take care to avoid multitasking by separating yourself from your cell phone or other distractions while you’re tackling a new task.
- Schedule your self-care time—including exercise, meals, breaks—first, and treat it as you would a business appointment.
- Review your activities daily and prioritize your to-do list.
- Tackle your most overwhelming tasks first.
- Stop writing down big projects on your to-do list. These are projects, not tasks, and you’re likely to be discouraged if you don’t complete them by a set deadline, no matter how much work might be involved. Break them up into the individual steps and put those on your to-do list, instead.
- Eat the frog first. Don’t waste time crossing all the easy, fast and insignificant things off your list until the important tasks are handled.
- Ask for help when you find yourself procrastinating because you need more information or don’t know how to complete a task.
- Eliminate or reduce the things that are wasting your time.
- Delegate the things you are not good at or hate doing.